Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy 4th!

happy 4th of july!!!
After reading The Children of the Promise series and understanding what everyone went through during WWII, I am so grateful this 4th of July to all who have sacrificed for our country. This series talks about a family that had a child imprisoned in Japan, one behind enemy lines in Germany, one serving as a nurse on a ship, one that died in Japan and then 2 teenagers still in school. It is amazing to me how much everyone sacrificed everywhere. I can't imagine being alive during those years, the war was truly on the forefront of everyone's mind. The death, the sickness, the beatings, the hunger, the confusion, the loss of overall goodness, the pain and confusion soldiers felt inside during and after the war, the saved ounces of fat, the lack of tires, sugar, meat, sporting events and dances done away with in high schools....I can't imagine the feeling of going without "for the duration" of the war. These people thought constantly of the end of the war and even when it was over, all the soldiers that came home stiff suffering because of things they had seen or done. Not only did Americans suffer, but this series shows how Germans suffered tremendously. It really opened my eyes, too, when the son that was imprisoned had a chance to beat the guards that had beaten him countless times, didn't do anything to them but  forgive them. Amazing.

I am so thankful for ALL who sacrifice for our freedoms. I know I take it for granted and I hope we can all remember to honor those who have and continue to fight for our every day life.

1 comment:

David and Kira said...

I read those books while we were at BYU. I am grateful for amazing writers!!!